Installing Your Floating Shelves Correctly with the Supplied Concealed Support Brackets
Installation of your floating shelves can be a simple process if you have the correct tools and information. Here we aim to provide an easy to use guide to installing your new shelves.
All our floating shelves are made from solid wood and require strong concealed floating shelf fixings, which are supplied. The fixings are suitable for mounting on brick, stone and breeze block walls. The fixings can only be used with partition walls if the timber studs or noggins behind the plasterboard can be located. The concealed support brackets must have something solid to screw into.
If you wish to mount your new floating shelves on a partition walls, we will be happy to position the holes into the shelf as required – simply let us know where they are needed.
Before drilling into walls, always check for water, gas pipes and electric cables.
What you will require:
How to install
- Masonry/SDS hammer drill
- 10mm masonry drill bit
- Spirit Level & Pencil
- Tape Measure
- Masking Tape
- Adjustable spanner or pipe grips
- Use the masking tape to mark where you want your shelf to be placed.
- With your spirit level and pencil, mark the level line across the masking tape ensuring the line is longer than you need.
- Measure the centre points of the holes on the rear of the shelf, using your tape measure, and transfer these measurements onto the marked line on your wall.
- With the hammer drill and a 10mm drill bit, drill your holes approx. 70mm deep, making sure the drill is level and at a right angle to the wall (if it is skewed the fixings will not go in straight).
- Insert the plastic wall plugs, which were supplied, into the holes and push or hammer them in until they are flush with the wall.
- Place the steel washer supplied onto the screw shaft end of the concealed bracket and screw it into the wall plug until it is tight (do not over-tighten). Repeat for each support bracket you require.
- Once they are in place, check the level with your spirit level.
- If the brackets are not level, use the adjustable spanner or pipe grips to rotate one or both of the brackets until the spirit level bubble is centre.
- Once level, offer the shelf up to the brackets and push until up to the knurled section – DO NOT PUSH THE SHELF FULLY ON YET. Make sure the shelf is level using the spirit level and adjust the the supports again if necessary.
- Once you are happy with the level, you can push the shelf fully onto the brackets and it is ready to use